Full Year – Level H: Incoming freshman and sophomore students must apply for admission to this program in January of the prior academic year. Acceptance into the program will be based on a science teacher recommendation, a written essay, and excellent academic grades.
Monday, March 28, 2016
Your assignment: Select 2 segments of the documentary that affected you most. State the emotion which is highlighted in the segment and reflect on the impact of the emotional state on the individual(s) involved. What hope does science have to assist in understanding these emotions?
(Segments included discussions on: Family, Friends, Lovers, Anger, Fear, Anxiety, Depression, PTSD, Happiness)
Sunday, May 17, 2015
1. How did this symposium compare to others in the past? If this was your first Amity Science Symposium, was it what you expected? Explain.
2. What contribution did YOU make towards helping the symposium run smoothly (set up, planning, organizing, tributes, break down, program, certificates, food etc...).
3. How many guests (that you invited) were able to come and what was their impression?
4. If you did NOT attend the symposium, what did you do instead? Explain.
5. Prof. David Bernstein discussed "The Importance of the Scientific Process in Forensic Psychology". What was your overall impression of the Keynote presentation? Did you enjoy the topic? Was it delivered at, above or below your understanding/ability or comfort level? Why or why not? Would you be interested in pursuing research in this area?
6. What did you think about the quality and diversity of student presentations and topics? Be specific.
7. List one thing you liked BEST about the symposium and one IMPROVEMENT that you would like to see for next year.
8. On a scale of 0 (low) to 5 (high), rate this year's symposium.
Your BLOG post is due by the end of the first post-symposium class period.
Tuesday, March 17, 2015
1. What was your overall impression of the 2 day event? Comment specifically about the agenda of each day separately.
2. What did you think of the first Keynote Speaker, Dr. Nicholas Leadbeater, regarding delivering effective presentations?
3. What did you think of the second Keynote Speaker, Miss Rachel, about the future of Commercial Space Transportation?
4. How was the food (dinner Sunday, lunch Monday, snacks)?
5. Did you visit other student's posters? If so, which one left the most lasting impression?
6. Which oral presentation did you enjoy most?
7. Are you interested in attending 2016 JSHS? Why or why not?
8. Improvements to JSHS overall? Things you loved?
Wednesday, March 11, 2015
a. Registration process in general (smooth or complicated)?
b. Poster set up
c. Preliminary Judging
d. Volunteering (if applicable)
Monday, February 9, 2015
1. What was your overall impression of the 2015 SCISEF Fair? Specifically, what things did you enjoy about the fair? Did the fair meet your expectations? In what ways was it similar or different to what you anticipated or experienced in the past?
2. What was the judging process like? Were the judges fair and helpful? Be specific.
3. What was the most helpful comment from the Judges? Least helpful?
4. How was the food (breakfast and lunch)?
5. Did you enjoy the Keynote presentation by J. Alan Clark, Associate Prof of Conservation Biology at Fordham University? Explain.
6. In what way(s) do you think the Mock Science Fair helped prepare you for the fair?
7. Did you learn anything new about your project? If so, what can you do to improve it for the next fair?
8. Did you have time to view other student projects? Which project(s) left a lasting impression? why?
8. Did you talk to students from other schools? Explain.
9. What can we do to better prepare students for upcoming science fairs, if anything?
10. Overall on a scale of 1 (terrible) to 5 (amazing) --> How enjoyable was your SCSEF experience?